Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Not your momma's mac n' cheese!

So this story starts way back, join me if you will - when a young girl started her 4 years of college. It is you typical boy meets girl story - just played out over 6 years.
Six years after meeting, boy asks girl out. One and a half years later boy asks girl to marry him. Eight months after that boy marries girl. A few months after that they receive their wedding gift from a good friend and an avid connoisseur of food. His gift you ask...a gift card to his new favorite restaurant...Boka! Another few months pass, and boy and girl finally find occasion to use the gift card.
If you hadn't guessed already, this is a story about Andrew and I. But enough about us, back to our experience at Boka. We had a lot of VERY good food there - including the BEST fish I have ever had - so fresh, so unbelievably good! Another item we decided to try was one that brings two of my favorite foods together - mac and cheese with edamame. It was beyond any mac and cheese I had ever had.
Now fast forward to Monday - I came home from work craving this mac and cheese. Andrew seemed on board with making it - the problem...how do we make it when we don't know any of the ingredients. Andrew suggested that the recipe might be online. I thought that is impossible, why would a famous chef give away his secret?
Well as soon as we got home, Andrew proved his Google skills, finding this little gem...Boka's Mac And Cheese With Edamame Recipe! I could hardly believe my eyes! After jotting down the ingredients - I had no idea what panko crumbs were - we headed down to our local Whole Foods. We assumed they would be more likely to have white truffle oil - and panko crumbs - whatever they were - then Jewel Osco. I was a little concerned the items might take a while to find, but in my second surprise of the night, common sense helped us find all the ingredients with in 15 minutes. Believe it or not the only item we had to ask for assistance finding was the edamame. Turns out they didn't have any fresh edamame so we had to get frozen.
And so now I leave you with the photo journal of the process:
Noodles and edamame in strainer


Me stirring the cheese
Andrew shredded the cheese
Final product with panko crumbs browned in white truffle oil
On a somewhat related note - white truffle oil is really tasty!

6 comments:

Holly said...

I have a KILLER mac & cheese recipe that would put all our mothers to shame. We should swap. Or, when I'm in town, we should have mac & cheese night every night until the goodness is exhausted.

Michelle said...

My vote is for the mac and cheese nights - mostly because it would mean actually seeing you. ;) I think mac and cheese nights go really well with Gilmore Girls. Poor Andrew might have to have a few guys nights to keep from going crazy!
For the record my mom makes a really mean homemade mac and cheese - we could throw that one in the mix too. Just saying...

Dust and Ashes said...

Your Dad's "blue box" Mac and Cheese is pretty good too. =D However, my favorite is Steak-n-Shake's Chili Mac with Cheese. Yum, yum!
><>

iamryno said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the mac and cheese so much...i however can't stand mac and cheese especially when you add lima beans.

Holly said...

Edamame...EDAMAME!!!

Jacqui said...

So was it everything you hoped for?