Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Get ready for a blog-full...

One of the perks of being a tax accountant is that you get April 16th off as a paid holiday. As it happens the 16th fell on a Thursday this year - the same day that NPR tapes their news show "Wait wait...don't tell me!" For those of you not familiar with the show, it come on right after Car Talk on Saturday morning, and it is more or less a news quiz - with a little humor thrown in. In order to add a real laugh track, the show is taped in front of a live audience, at none other than the Chase Auditorium in lovely downtown Chicago. So - we got tickets - and after a long day of Spring Cleaning - sat back and enjoyed some laughs.
We got a mug as a little memento, you can never have too many mugs right?
We also hung around after the show and got a few autographs...it was kind of like being a kid again. Andrew also got a picture with Carl on his phone.
And the cast of possible panelists...there are three in every show - I was hoping Mo Rocca would be there, but he apparently had the night off - guess we will have to go back!
Unfortunately, because the 16th was on a Thursday, I had to return to work for Friday. As chance would have it, Friday turned out to be a gorgeous day, and lets be honest, after tax day, there isn't much pressing work - so I took off at noon. Andrew and I enjoyed the afternoon and into the evening. We had the pleasure of seeing Andrew's Uncle Robert that night.
He was kind enough to take us out, and to snap one of the rare photos of Andrew and I, and managed to escape being in a picture himself.
We then rounded out the weekend with a visit to Indiana, to see my family. Ryan and Lindsay introduced Andrew and I to Geocaching. If you have never heard of this before I encourage you to check it out. It was a lot of fun and a great way to spend time with family.
I was the one to find the first hunt we went on - though I was informed multiple times that it was an "easy one." Easy or not it was enough to get me hooked! We didn't have great luck with the second one - despite a few of us drawing blood during the hunt.
This however did not divert my interest in the sport. We would continue to hunt and find two more treasures that day - and have one more allude us. The following are pictures from the hunt!


I also found this one:

As you can tell - this is really an adventure that takes you all over. It is a great lesson in getting out there and paying attention to things you might otherwise not notice. Definitely my kind of fun...now I just have to convince Andrew we need a GPS.
Some other highlights were getting to spend some time with my family, seeing my niece's face light up, and hearing her say my name.

4 comments:

Lindsay @ 402CenterStreet.blogspot.com said...

Fun stuff. You can come geocaching with us any time sis. :) If you can't talk Andrew into the GPS, well, Christmas is right around the corner. . .

Monday Lily told me "MiShell house". I think that means she wants to visit. lol.

Michelle said...

After reading this Andrew informed me that I need not do anything to convince him - he wants one as well. Though if you are looking for an excuse - our birthdays are a lot closer than Christmas - just saying.
You could all visit and we could start on the 400+ treasures in Evanston. Or we could always do the 2nd annual Brandon/Smith/Waggoner 4th of July extraveganza (sp) and there wouldn't be any heavy lifting this year!

Dust and Ashes said...

I suppose Andrew and I could borrow Ryan's GPS while everyone else is at the Art Show...

iamryno said...

The geocaching was such a fun time...looking forward to our next hunt.