Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring has Sprung!

The first sign of Spring: New green growth on our blackberry bush! Come on blackberry pie!
Second sign: Cat grass fever! I joked with Andrew that we might need to buy a lawn mower.
This week we literally watched grass grow, and it was interesting! There was little movement in the pot up through Wednesday. Then little nubs started poking out. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures throughout the process. But the nubs were a very eerie neon green color - we had called it our alien grass. Wednesday morning I decided to move the pot back into the sun. When we got home from work the grass had broke out of its casing (the clear base on the picture below.) and had grown an inch. It seems to be growing now at an inch a day.
Andrew agreed that we should give it to Fran.
So far she seems interested - but only from a safe distance.
So as not to seem to be playing favorites with our green children. Twiggy appears to be liking his new home, and is still doing well.
And no name plant is doing well - despite Fran taking an interest in eating his leaves. Here's hoping this is a safe plant for kitties!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget your topsy turvy tomato or strawberry planters! Probably too early to buy those plants. Are you taking suggestions for no name; how about Spike or Spike Michelle?

Anonymous said...

I could never have flowers in the house cause Fran would always eat them. :-) It just warms my heart to see her "Franny" placemat. I love it!

Anonymous said...

might i suggest the name for the no name plate...unless that happens to be its name.

Junior

I just like the image of the small trunk right along side the taller one. for some reason the shorter one is my focus, thus the name.

Lindsay @ 402CenterStreet.blogspot.com said...

Let me know how that blackberry bush works out. I'm hoping to plant some myself next year. (This year is rasberries)

And thanks for the update on Twiggy. He's lookin' good!